Monday, December 7, 2009

Hands Off My Joojoo!

Formerly named the Crunchpad, Fusion Garage's new web browsing device, the "Joojoo" aims to take the market from the iPhone and iPod touch.


The Joojoo

You may not be able to tell from the picture, but the Joojoo is a gigantic (as compared to the iPod touch) 12 inches diagonally. If you're looking for a portable device, this probably isn't it.

I'm dying to know why they made the name change. I'll agree that Crunchpad isn't the most eloquent of names, but Joojoo? I'm feeling some antisemitism in this company. Pretty soon, everyone's going to want to "own a Joojoo". I thought we were past this.

What this device is good for:
Web browsing
and...
Well, that's pretty much it. It's operating system is a modified version of Linux that has been stripped of almost all functionality. Want to run an iPhone app? Sorry, no can do. Want to run any sort of Linux application? Again, sorry.

The final blow to the device is it's $500 price tag. Really? I'm not sure of anyone who is going to spend $500 for a web browser. Add some Linux functionality and I may be tempted, until then this looks like a fun toy for the rich.

(via CNET news)

No comments:

Post a Comment